Ayurveda is one of the oldest systems of healing. It imparts knowledge of life. Ayurveda system of healing is time tested and is equally effective in today’s scenario as it was effective in olden days. Ayurveda stresses on building immunity (body defence mechanism) strong to stay away from infections, caused by microorganisms like bacteria, virus or fungus etc.
Our immune system comprises of cells, organs, proteins and antibodies, that work in synergy to defend the body by fighting outside infections caused by microorganisms. As per the UK’s Medical Research Council, we inhale app. one hundred million viruses every day. Our immune system works to keep us safe from harmful microorganisms. If our immune system is weak we get infected by bacteria, virus fungi etc.
Ayurveda provides guidelines to make our immune system strong to keep us protected from invading microorganisms.
- Kitchen herbs:- Including garlic, onion, ginger, turmeric, pepper, cinnamon etc in our diets can help us keeping away from infections as they have antioxidant, detoxifying and antimicrobial properties.
- Green Tea:- Green tea enriched with herbs have antioxidants, which help in fighting infection.
- Fluids intake:- Drinking optimum quantity of fruit juices and keeping well hydrated helps the body to eliminate toxins and harmful microorganisms. Antioxidants present in juices help fighting free radicals, harmful for cells of the body.
- Essential oils:- Lemon has powerful antibacterial properties and stimulates the production of white blood cells (W.B.C.) the main part of body defence mechanism towards infections.
- Yoga and Meditation:- Brain and immune system work in coordination. During stress, the brain produces more cortisol – the stress hormone, that produces the body for emergency situations. But the immune system gets suppressed. Practising yoga and meditation relieves stress and the body immune system works at its optimum capacity. Remaining in the joyous state also helps the body to relieve stress and enhance the immune system.
Eating a healthy balanced diet, containing fibres, fruit, vegetables, healthy fats, adopting yoga and meditation, remaining well hydrated and in a joyous state can help us make our immunity strong to keep away from infections.
Practising proper hygiene and seeking medical advice as and when required should also be given priority.
Wishing all a healthy and disease-free life.
(For awareness purpose only).