Coronavirus is named due to its crown-like shape. It is a kind of common virus that causes infections in the nose, sinuses and throat. Mostly coronavirus is not dangerous. But in December 2019 a strain of coronavirus has been identified that can be fatal and W.H.O. Named the disease caused by this virus as COVID- 19. Virus strain is called- Severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 ( SARS-CoV-2). It was first reported in Wuhan, Hubei, China. and has spread around the world.
COVID-19 infection range from mild to severe. It can be fatal if it leads to pneumonia, respiratory failure or septic shock. Elderly people and people with a weak immune system are at more risk of death, upon getting infected. The overall mortality rate is 2% to 3%.
The incubation period (the period between getting infected and the appearance of first symptoms) is 2 to 14 days.
- Initial Flu-like symptoms as fever, cough, running of the nose, congestion, tightness in chest breathing difficulties, fatigue, headache, myalgia etc.
- Kidney failure.
Mode of Transmission:– Human to Human via respiratory droplets.
- Washing hands frequently:- Frequent washing of hands with soap and water, scrubbing back of the hands, nails for minimum 20 seconds. Or use alcohol-based hand rub to kill the viruses.
- Avoiding crowded Places:- At crowded places, if someone carrying infection sneezes, small liquid droplets containing viruses can be released. These droplets containing viruses, upon inhalation can cause infection.
- Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth:- Hands touch many surfaces. If the surface touched contained viruses, it may get transferred to the body upon touching eyes, nose or mouth and can cause infection.
- Practising respiratory hygiene:- Droplets from an infected person spreads infection upon coughing or sneezing. practising hygiene while coughing or sneezing, using the handkerchief. Keeping at an arms-length distance with other people gives protection.
- Using masks:- Persons with respiratory symptoms should wear a mask while coughing or sneezing. The mask should be disposed of properly to avoid spreading infection.
- Avoid contact:- While greeting, avoid close contacts with persons having cold or flu-like symptoms.
- Isolating patients:- Isolating patients with respiratory symptoms for 14 days may help in spreading infection.
- Strengthen your immune system:- As per Ayurveda strengthening the digestive system and relieving the body of toxins help in strengthening the immunity system thus providing protection from infection.
Seeking Medical Advice:- If above-mentioned symptoms appear, seek medical advice at an early stage of infection. Inform health care advisor if you or anyone in your close contact have visited the place were COVID-19 cases have been registered.
Wishing all a healthy disease-free life.
(For awareness purpose only).