Easing joint pains during winters can be achieved by making a few lifestyle changes. Joint pains are crippling and impact the quality of life. The winter season is considered a pleasant season. But not for people suffering from joint pains. It adds to their problems. Nowadays even young people are also suffering from joint pains.
Studies have shown that cold weather affects both inflammatory and noninflammatory arthritis. Arthritic patients with chronic pain are more vulnerable to discomfort. Bad weather can also affect mood, and if someone is depressed the perception of pain gets magnified.
Why arthritis fare up in winter?
- The receptors of pain during winters become more sensitive.
- The drop in atmospheric pressure causes tissues to swell. Which builds tension between joints causing pain.
- The cold temperature reduces blood circulation, due to the contraction of blood vessels. Which flares up pain in arthritis.
- During winters, the sunlight is less. which results in lower vitamin-D levels, leading to weakened bones and joints.
What is arthritis?
Pain and stiffness in one or more joints due to inflammation that increases with age. Different types of arthritis exist depending upon causes that include wear and tear, infections, etc.
Inflammation of one or more joints causing pain and stiffnes that increases as the age progresses.
A chronic inflammatory disorder affecting many joints including hands and feet.
A type of arthritis when flexible tissue at the end of bones wear down. It is generally seen in women, may be due to lack of Vitamin-D.
Pain in joints, muscles, or fibrous tissues and inflammation due to any disease.
Arthritis caused due to skin condition- psoriasis,
Possible reasons for joint pain:-
It may be due to the accumulation of inflammatory chemicals in joints, that cause pain. The joint fluid also gets thickened during winters, which further aggravates the problem. One of the major causes is the sedentary lifestyle and faulty eating habits. For more reading – How sedentary lifestyle impact people health globally <= Please click the link.
Easing Joint pains during winters.
Easing joint pains during winters- The natural way.
Joint pains can be controlled by making lifestyle changes, eating a healthy diet, and adopting an active way of life. like- Consuming Omega-3 fatty acids, controlling body weight, regularly exercising, avoiding injuries, and keeping joints warm.
Healthy diet:- Healthy diet plays an important role in reducing inflammation and progression of the severity of arthritis. It also helps in improving overall health. Consuming the following foods may help- easing joint pains during winters naturally:-
- Consuming fatty fish may help in reducing inflammation. Fish is a rich source of omega- 3 fatty acids and vitamin-D.
- Consuming garlic may help in relieving inflammation and reducing the risk of osteoarthritis.
- Ginger fresh or dried may help in reducing inflammation and can reduce the symptoms of arthritis.
- Broccoli contains sulforaphane, which has been shown to possess anti-inflammatory properties and may help in reducing the severity of symptoms in arthritis.
- Spinach is a rich source of antioxidants- like kaempferol. Kaempferol may help in reducing inflammation and reduce the progression of osteoarthritis.
Controlling Bodyweight:- As per a study it was found that losing one pound of weight resulted in reducing four pounds of pressure on knees. Losing bodyweight results in reducing arthritic pain. Fat stored in the body releases pro-inflammatory chemicals. By reducing fat, overall body inflammation gets reduced. Research confirms that maintaining a healthy body weight can help in reducing the progression of arthritis.
Exercise:- Adopting a habit of daily exercise may help in leading a healthy life. It helps in maintaining a healthy body weight and reduces the risk of suffering from joint pain. Under consultation with your healthcare provider exercising schedule can be adopted. Daily exercise may provide the following benefits:-
- Exercise may strengthen muscles around joints.
- It helps in maintaining bone strength.
- It helps in controlling body weight. Which can reduce pressure on joints.
- Exercise provides energy to lead an active life.
- Exercise helps in relieving stress and helps in inducing quality and quantity of sleep.
- It adds to the quality of life.
- It improves the balance of the body.
Keeping joints warm:- Keeping joints warm help- easing joint pains during winters naturally. Research has shown that heat treatments can loosen stiff joints and relieve achy muscles. Warming the aching joints helps in the expansion of blood vessels. Which increases the flow of blood carrying oxygen and other nutrients to be delivered to the injured tissues. Better circulation facilitates more relaxation to stiff muscles and joints.
Wishing all a healthy and painless life. Please consult your healthcare provider for treatment.
For awareness purpose only.
Blogger & Marketing consultant.
Having 40+ years of experience in the healthcare industry. Modern medicine and Ayurveda.