Liver cirrhosis is caused by long-term exposure to toxins such as alcohol, drugs, and medicines, or viral infections such as Hepatitis-B or Hepatitis-C. It is a chronic and terminal stage of liver disease. It involves the loss of liver cells and the scarring of the liver. The scarring of the liver is irreversible.
Most of the common causes of liver cirrhosis are long-term infections caused by Hepatitis-C or alcoholism. The other causes are Hepatitis- B, Hepatitis-D, inflammation caused by autoimmune disease, damage to the bile duct, medications like acetaminophen, some antibiotics, or antidepressants.
Liver cells have the capacity to regenerate. Liver cirrhosis develops when the liver is exposed for a long time to toxins such as alcohol or viral infections. On long-term exposure, liver tissues get scarred. The scarring of liver tissues in later stages gets converted to liver cirrhosis. liver cirrhosis may turn into liver cancer.
What are the effects of Liver cirrhosis?
Due to liver cirrhosis, the liver gets shrunk and hardens. Which impacts the flow of nutrient-rich blood into the liver through the portal vein. As a result pressure in the portal vein rises and creates oesophageal varices. Oesophageal varices may cause bleeding in the alimentary canal. As a result, the patient may vomit blood or pass black stool.
The liver functions get hampered. A cirrhotic liver is unable to purify the blood, break down toxins(detoxify), and produce blood-clotting proteins. Patient with liver cirrhosis remains asymptomatic in the initial phase.
- Decreased Appetite
- Bleeding through nose
- Weight loss
- Anorexia (Loss of appetite)
- Itchy skin
- Pain in the abdomen.
What are the symptoms as the disease progresses?
- Hepatic encephalopathy confusion and inability to think clearly. It is due to the effect on the brain due to uncleared toxins in the blood.
- Ascites- Abdominal swelling caused by the accumulation of fluid.
- Edema – Puffiness caused by excessive fluid trapped in body tissues.
- Impotence and or Gynecomastia (Males start developing breast tissues) – The balance between sex hormones estrogen and testosterone get disturbed due to malfunctioning of the liver.
- Bruising – Due to low platelet count and or poor blood clotting.
- Bleeding – Due to depressed blood clotting proteins.
- Sensitivity to medications – The liver processes medication in the body.
- Kidney Failure.
- Insulin resistance and type – 2 diabetes.
- Gall bladder stones- Interference with bile flow can cause bile to harden and form stones.
- Oesophageal varices – Due to portal hypertension, When the tension rises, varices get ruptured, resulting in bleeding in the alimentary canal.
- Splenomegaly- Enlargement of the spleen – Due to portal congestion.
- Liver cancer.
- Spider Angioma – the appearance of spidery blood vessels under the skin.
What is possible treatment under the modern medical system?
The cause is considered for the treatment. Generally, doctors prescribe:-
Can Ayurveda treat Liver cirrhosis?
In Ayurveda, it is also claimed to have treatment. The treatment involves the use of various herbs, plants, and shrubs. Ayurveda is being used to treat liver cirrhosis for more than 5000 years.
The patent is required to take all precautions as advised by the physician. Family members’ support also counts.
Wishing all to be in a healthy state. Please consult your health care provider for treatment.
(For public awareness only).
For treatment at Ilaj Ayur Heritage Hospital, Kerela, India- use the discount code below:-
Blogger & Marketing consultant.
40+ years of experience in the healthcare industry. Modern medicine & Ayurveda