As per the world health organization (W.H.O), Migraine- One of the most disabling lifetime conditions. App. one billion people suffer from Migraine headaches worldwide. Migraine is more prevalent than diabetes, epilepsy, and asthma combined. It is the third most prevalent disease in the world. One in every seven people suffers from Migraines all over the world. It is a neurological health disorder, affecting the app. 39 million people in the U.S. Yet awareness and understanding of the disease is very low.
What makes Migraine- One of the most disabling lifetime conditions?
Migraine- One of the most disabling lifetime conditions because during migraine attacks patients lose the capacity to work. It hampers daily activities. Usually, a migraine attack lasts from 4 to 72 hours time. The frequency of attacks may vary, it may be few attacks a lifetime to several attacks a week. Migraine usually causes severe pounding headache. The pulsing pain generally starts from the forehead, side of the head, or around the eyes. Usually, migraine attacks are accompanied by disabling conditions like visual disturbance, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, sensitivity to sound, light, and smell. The migraine attack may cause temporary numbness on the face or extremities.
How Migraine impacts health?
The migraine headache may be intense. Its impact on the health of a person varies. Women are more likely to suffer from migraines than men. Migraines become chronic due to the overuse of drugs. Which may be due to the increased frequency of attacks or severity of unbearable pain or associated symptoms. Depression, anxiety, and sleep disorders are most common in chronic conditions. Over 20% of chronic migraine patients get disabled. The likelihood of disability conditions increases due to comorbid conditions. And for such patients Migraine becomes one of the most disabling lifetime conditions.
What causes migraines?
The causes of Migraine headaches are yet to be identified. Genetic, environmental and lifestyle factors appear to play a role. As per The American Migraine Foundation – If one of the parents is suffering from Migraines, then the chances of getting migraines for children is 50%. And if both parents are suffering from Migraines then the chances of Migraines in offspring is 75%. Some researchers believe that migraine headaches may be due to changes in Serotonin levels. Serotonin plays many roles in the body. It can impact blood vessels. When the serotonin level increases the blood vessels shrink. And when serotonin level decreases blood vessels dilate. The dilation of blood vessels may cause pain or other health problems. Women are more likely to suffer from chronic migraines ( migraine that occurs more than 15 days a month or more). It may be due to hormonal fluctuations during periods, pregnancy, or menopause.
What are the Risk Factors for Migraine headache?
Following are the risk factors ( Factors that make a person get the disease) for migraine headache are:-
- Family history– If one or both parents are suffering from migraines the chances of children getting migraines increases.
- Sex- Females are more likely to get migraines than males.
- Age- Usually people get their first attack during adolescence. but it can start at any age before the age of 40.
Triggers for Migraine headache.
The following can trigger the onset of a migraine attack:-
- Food and drinks- Some foods or drinks (As listed below) may cause migraines. Skipping meals, consuming high sugary meals, dieting or dehydration may also trigger migraines.
- Hormonal changes- Hormonal changes during pregnancy, periods, menopause, use of hormonal birth control, or hormone replacement therapies may trigger migraines.
- Stress- Physical or mental stress may trigger migraines. For details- How to cut down stress levels <<= Click here.
- Senses- Loud sound, bright lights, or strong smells may trigger migraines.
- Medicines- Some prescribed medicines may be responsible for migraine headaches. the health care provider should be consulted.
- Illness-Some infections like cold or flu may trigger a migraine attack.
- Anxiety, Tension, and Excitement- Anxiety, tension, and excitement may lead to the onset of a migraine attack.
Foods and drinks that may trigger Migraine:-
- Aged, canned, or processed meat.
- Aged cheese
- Alcoholic beverages (especially red wine).
- Excessive use of caffeine.
- Canned soup
- Chocolate or cocoa
- Cultured dairy products like buttermilk, sour cream, etc.
- Monosodium glutamate
- Nuts and peanut butter
- Onions (excess)
- Pickled, preserved, or marinated foods.
- Red plums
- Soy sauce
- Seasoned salt
- Snow peas etc.
Preventable Steps can be:-
- Use of ice packs– More than 70% of people found cold therapy to be effective.
- Lavender Oil – As per a study conducted in 2012, people who inhaled lavender oil for 15 minutes got relief from migraines.
- Magnesium – Deficiency of magnesium, can also be a possible reason for migraine.
- Fish oil – Consuming good quality Omega-3 supplement also help to reduce pain.
Preventive Migraine measures as per Ayurveda.
As per Ayurveda following measures can prevent Migraine headache.
Consumption of ginger tea can relieve nausea associated with migraine headaches. Moreover ginger can block prostaglandins compounds, that stimulate muscular contractions. Which leads to pain.
Inhaling essential oils like rosemary, jasmine, lavender oils can help in relieving tension and stress, which triggers a migraine. Lavender oil has sedative properties also, that calms down muscles. Rosemary oil helps in balancing hormones. Hormonal imbalance is one of the major causes of migraines in ladies. For inhalation, add 6 to 10 drops of oil in hot water and inhale.
Applying nutmeg paste on the forehead can help in calming down the muscles and inducing sound sleep. A massage with nutmeg paste may give relief from pain and have sedative effects.
Practicing yoga and meditation can have relaxing effects. It relieves stress and tension, which are trigger factors for migraine headaches.
Using peppermint oil massage on temples may relieve pain. As per a study published in the Journal of Neuroscience, the fragrance of peppermint herb helps in relieving headaches. It has anti-inflammatory properties and soothes the nerves. Peppermint tea can be consumed for relieving migraine headaches.
For treatment please consult your healthcare provider. Wishing all a healthy life.
How to differentiate Covid-19 headache from other (Migraine) headache?
For details, please click on the link https://maansisurvivalaidfoundation.com/how-to-differentiate-covid-19-headache-from-other-headaches/
For awareness purposes only.
Blogger & Marketing Consultant
40+ Years of experience in the healthcare industry.