Food Changes Mood.
Depression can be overcome naturally, by making changes in behavior, physical activities, and eating habits. Adopting diets rich in Omega-3 fatty acids, Vitamin B, Vitamin D, Zinc, Folates, etc. can help in overcoming depression. We usually make changes in our diets to reduce weight, blood sugar, and arteries clogging cholesterol levels. But do not pay attention to the most complex and energy-consuming organ of the body – the brain.
What is Depression?
Depression is a mental health disorder, leading to sadness, loss of interest in activities. Which if not taken care of, can cause significant impairment in daily life. Possible causes can be biological, psychological, and social sources of distress. Depression can lead to many behavioral and physical symptoms. which may include changes in sleep, appetite, energy level, concentration, daily behavior, or self-esteem. Depression can be associated with suicidal thoughts.
What experts say:-
As per Dr. Drew Ramsey, an assistant clinical professor of psychiatry at Columbia university – a poor diet is a major contributor to the epidemic of depression. Which is the top driver of disability among the age group between 15 to 44. People are overfed in calories yet starved in micronutrients necessary for our brain. Many of such micronutrients are present in plant foods.
What we consume affects us both physically and mentally. As per a study published in the journal European Neuropsychopharmacology, there is a link between poor diet and worsening of mood disorders including depression and anxiety. Which can be firmly established in certain cases like the impact of vitamin B12 deficiency on depression.
Foods that help to overcome depression:-
- Omega- 3 Fatty acids to overcome depression:- Fish oil contain omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA). Which combats depression. Vegetarians can consume algae plant oil, which contains omega-3 fatty acids.
- Eating bananas:- Bananas are rich in tryptophan, which gets converted into serotonin. Which is a monoamine neurotransmitter, that contributes towards a feeling of well-being and happiness. The deficiency of serotonin can lead to depression.
- Magnesium-rich lentils to relieve stress:- Lentils are rich sources of magnesium and fibers, which improves gut health. Research suggests that a healthy gut microbiome may be important in processing neurotransmitters like serotonin, which regulates mood.
- Nuts act as mood stabilizers:- Nuts, seeds, peanuts cashews are also rich in magnesium, which help in relaxing muscles and result in overall mental well being.
- Ashwagandha and Brahmi to reduce stress hormones:- The Indian adaptogens like Ashwagandha and Brahmi improve mental health by balancing stress hormone – cortisol.
Foods to be avoided:-
- Sugar:- It has been suggested in many studies that consuming sweetened food and beverages may add to depressive symptoms.
- Caffeine:- Caffeine lowers serotonin levels in the brain, which can increase anxiety levels.
- Alcohol:- Negative mood-related drinking can lead to both dependence and major depression.
- Smoking:- Smoking adds to depression.
- For more details, Smoking may lead to depression. please click on the link https://maansisurvivalaidfoundation.com/?s=smoking+may+lead+to+depression
Adopting a regular daily schedule of Excercise, Yoga, Meditation, Fixing sleeping hours, and engaging in social activities can help in overcoming depression.
Please consult your healthcare provider for treatment.
For awareness purposes only.
Please Like, Share, and Subscribe to promote healthy living.
For discussions, join us at our Forums by clicking on the link and log in.
Healthy Living Forum – https://maansisurvivalaidfoundation.com/forums/forum/healthy-living-forum/
Ayurveda Forum – https://maansisurvivalaidfoundation.com/forums/forum/ayurveda-forum/