Starting from the zygote ( Formed after fertilization between the ovum and the sperm cell ) – the first cell of the body, our cells start multiplying and result in a colony of trillion cells called- the body. It is estimated that our body contains 100 to 120 trillion cells. Each cell is capable of doing all functions like respiration, excretion, etc. and possesses, an energy source -the powerhouse- mitochondria. Mostly you can recharge- the body powerhouse- mitochondria by adopting healthy living habits.
What is mitochondria- The body powerhouse?
Mitochondria are organelles of the cells that are membranes bound. They are made up of two membranes and a matrix. The membranes serve the main purpose of mitochondria- the production of energy. And the matrix is where the fluid is held. Mitochondria are a part of eukaryotic cells. Eukaryotic cells are cells that contain a clearly defined nucleus. Mitochondria produce energy by having the chemicals in the cell go through the pathways. The energy is produced in the form of ATP (Adenosine triphosphates). ATP provides energy for other reactions within the cells. Different cells have a different number of mitochondria- depending upon their need for energy. Like- muscles, liver, and kidney cells have a lot of mitochondria. Defects in the mitochondrial pathways may lead to health problems.
Mitochondria- The power house
Mitochondria are called the powerhouse of cells, and these tiny powerhouses produce energy for the whole body. Mitochondria contain 18000 to 20000 assembly lines that take up nutrition and oxygen as raw material and break it down into molecules of energy called ATP ( Adenosine Triphosphate ). ATP is an organic compound that provides energy to drive all processes in living cells. Without ATP our body can not survive.
For all body functions from digestion to the immune system- ATP is the source of energy. If our body has lesser ATP molecules our body becomes weak and all the bodily functions are impacted, including the immune system, which results in infectious diseases.
What are the factors that impact energy production?
Following are the few factors that may impact energy production by mitochondria.
- Faulty Lifestyle. For more reading- How sedentary lifestyle impact health <= Click here.
- Unhealthy eating habits. For more reading- Unhealthy diet- A major cause of premature death <= Click here
- No exercises.
- Lack of sleep.
- Unmanaged stress. For more reading- How to cut down stress levels? <= Click here.
Due to unhealthy lifestyles and eating habits, like consuming junk food, carbon dioxide gets accumulated in the body up to the cellular level. and the person feels sleepy, sluggish, and tired. and there is an increase in free radicals, that’s closely connected to inflammation – the root cause of most diseases from diabetes, obesity to cancer.
There are other factors, that affect mitochondrial dysfunction. such as:-
- Diabetes (both type 1 & 2).
- Excessive exposure to sunlight & at wrong intervals.
- Tobacco consumption and smoking.
- Motor skill dysfunction and autism.
How to recharge- the body powerhouse- Mitochondria?
Following are the few factors that may help to recharge- the body powerhouse- mitochondria. And can help mitochondria to work at their optimal level.
- Consumption of fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, legumes, and whole grains help cells and mitochondria to function at its optimal level. For more reading- Vegetables the ultimate source of nutrition and protection– <= Click here.
- Consuming- Omega-3 fatty acids found in fish or flax seeds.
- Adding- dietary fibers in the diet.
- Reducing consumption of sugar, refined flour, and all junk foods.
- Adding cruciferous vegetables in the diet like cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, kale, etc.
- Following fixed daily sleeping schedule- that provide good quality and quantity of sleep. Adequate sleep at regular hours provides rest to these energy centers- the mitochondria.
- Adopting healthy lifestyle habits. For more details…
5- Healthy habits to lead a long diseasefree life.
For details, click on the button below:-
By simply changing our lifestyle and eating habits we can optimize our body energy levels and facilitate our body to function normally and strengthen our immune system to get prevention from infections.
Wishing all a healthy life. For treatment please consult your healthcare provider.
(For awareness purposes only).
Please like, share, and subscribe to create awareness for healthy living and Ayurveda.
Get our new blogs get delivered to your inbox.
Blogger & Marketing consultant
40+ years of experience in the healthcare industry.