Vegetables- The Source of Nutrition & Protection.
Eating vegetables as part of our daily diet regimen provides us with the necessary vitamins, minerals and phytochemicals which give us energy for our day to day activities. in addition to that, they also give us protection from many diseases. It is suggested that more than 50% of our daily consumption of food should contain vegetables and fruits.
“A huge body of scientific evidence suggests that a diet rich in vegetables helps us protect against a whole textbook of diseases including cancer and heart diseases, along with degenerative diseases like cataracts and Alzheimers,” Says nutritionist Fiona Hunter,
Advantage of vegetable consumption is that mostly they are fat-free and contain lesser amount of calories. Moreover, nutrients found in vegetables help in neutralising damaging effects of free radicals and inactivate carcinogens (substances that cause cancer), fibres help in controlling blood pressure, cholesterol levels and keep the digestive tract in good working order.
- Peas:– They contain protein, dietary fibres, vitamin- K, C & A. They also provide us with Folates and Iron necessary for the body to manufacture red blood cells (R.B.C.).
- Spinach:– Contains phytonutrients (natural plant compounds), which help to combat free radical damage to cells in the body and reducing the incidence of heart diseases and cancers.
- Cauliflower:- Contains rich fibre content that helps the body in maintaining healthy gut flora, helps the digestive process, relieves constipation and inflammatory bowel disease.
- Beetroot:- They are highly nourishing and provides glutamine which keeps the intestinal tract healthy. Beetroots are rich in vitamins and antioxidants.
- Sweet potato:- Contains a range of vitamins and minerals. also, contain vitamin-C, They are also called superfoods for being rich source of beta-carotene, which keep skin healthy.
- Carrot:- They are packed with carotenoids antioxidants, which provide protection against colon, lung and prostate cancer. They also give protection to the skin from free radicals, thus helping to slow down the ageing process, improving skin tone, reducing the risk of cataracts and age-related muscular degeneration.
Thus with the consumption of vegetables, we can lead a healthy, active and disease-free life.
The added advantage is – the consumption of vegetables helps our environment by reducing greenhouse gas emission.
Wishing all to be in a healthy state.
(For awareness purpose only).