Early diagnosing the signs and symptoms of diabetes enables the management of diabetes easy. And Its long term effects can be minimized. Diabetes is being faced by millions of people all over the globe. As per the report, it is demonstrated that the number of adults living with diabetes has been quadrupled since 1980. app. 422 million people are suffering from diabetes worldwide. In India alone, it was estimated that app. 77 million people are diabetic.
What are the early signs of diabetes?
Diabetes is mainly caused by a problem with hormones called – Insulin. The early signs and symptoms of diabetes may be so mild that they remain unnoticed. Some persons may not find out that they have diabetes until long term damage is caused. A person with diabetes may have the following signs:-
- Hunger and Fatigue: The food eaten by a person gets converted to glucose, which is released in the blood. On the release of glucose, the pancreas release a hormone called insulin. Insulin is required by our body cells to break down glucose for the requirement of energy to perform different body functions. When the pancreas does not produce enough insulin as required by the cells or cells resist the insulin produced by the body. The cells can not break down enough glucose for their requirement of energy. This results in fatigue and a person feels more hungry.
- Peeing most often and feeling thirsty: Normally a person uses to pee between four to seven times in twenty-four hour time. But people with diabetes may go a lot more. The reason behind this is that our body reabsorbs the glucose left in the blood through our kidneys. But in diabetes level of glucose is more, as the cells are unable to break it down. As a result, sugar level rises, and kidneys can not reabsorb the raised quantity of glucose. This causes the body to form more urine. And in the process require more fluids. This results in an increased requirement to pee. And a person feels thirsty.
- Dry mouth and itchy skin: Dry mouth and itchy skin may be the sign of diabetes, as a person needs to pee more. It requires more fluids. There is a shortage of moisture in the body. As a result, the person feels dryness of the mouth and the skin becomes dry and itchy.
- Blurred Vision: Blurred vision may be a sign of diabetes. Due to change in fluids level in the body. The lens in the eye swells up resulting in to change in shape. The eye lens can not focus properly causing blurred vision.
Types of diabetes:
- Type-1 diabetes:- Type-1 diabetes is caused when the body’s immune system destroys the insulin-forming cells in the pancreas – called Beta cells. It usually occurs in children and young people.
- Secondary diabetes is caused when beta cells are damaged by some injury or disease.
- Type- 2 diabetes:- Type-2 diabetes is caused when the body can not produce enough insulin as required by the cells to convert glucose into energy. or the body becomes resistant to the produced insulin. It happens mostly in middle-aged or older people.
Symptoms of Type-1 diabetes:
- Unplanned weight loss:- Symptoms of type-1 diabetes may be loss of weight. The cells of the body can not produce enough energy. It starts utilizing muscles or fats to fulfill its energy requirements. It may lead to unplanned weight loss.
- Nausea and vomiting:- When the body starts burning fats for energy requirement. In the process, it releases ketones in the blood. Increased ketone levels may cause nausea and vomiting.
Symptoms of type-2 diabetes:
- Yeast Infection:- Symptoms of type-2 diabetes may include infection caused by yeast. Since there is an increased level of glucose in the blood. Yeast infection can be caused in warm and moist parts of the body with abundant glucose present. mostly body parts involved are between fingers and toes, in or around sex organs.
- Slow-healing sores and cuts:- Uncontrolled blood sugar levels in the blood for a long time impact blood flow and cause nerve damage. As a result healing process for sores and cuts slows down.
- Pain and numbness in feet or legs:- Pain and numbness in feet or legs may be the symptom of type-2 diabetes. It is also due to nerve damage due to the presence of glucose in the blood for a long time.
Alarming signs of diabetes complications:
- Signs of type-2 diabetes complications may include:
- > Slow healing of sores and cuts.
- > Itchy skin in warm and moist body parts.
- > Frequent yeast infections.
- > Numbness and tingling of hands and limbs.
- > Decreased vision.
- > Impotence or erectile dysfunction.
- > Velvety dark skin changes of neck, armpit, and groin.
Suggestions to prevent type-2 diabetes:
By early diagnosing signs and symptoms of diabetes. Risk factors can be reduced. Given below are some suggestions that can help to avoid the risk of type-2 diabetes.
Excessive fat around the abdomen can increase body resistance to insulin. Reducing excessive weight can prevent the risk of diabetes.
For guidelines to reduce obesity, please read our blog – Obesity – A risk factor for cancer. Click on the link:- https://maansisurvivalaidfoundation.com/obesity-risk-factor-for-cancer/
Adopting the habit of regular exercise and remaining physically active can help in the management of weight and may lower blood glucose levels. It can also improve cholesterol levels and blood pressure.
To read more about how high blood pressure impacts the health of a person. And how to control high blood pressure please click on the link:- https://maansisurvivalaidfoundation.com/how-high-blood-pressure-impact-health-of-a-person/
Consuming a healthy diet rich in seasonal fruits and vegetables and reducing the amount of saturated, trans fat, and salt in the diet can help in preventing risk for diabetes.
Reducing the consumption of fast food, which is rich in salt and trans fats can help in reducing the risk of diabetes. The best way is to consume homemade freshly prepared food.
Too much alcohol consumption may lead to weight gain and can increase the risk of diabetes. It may also increase blood pressure and triglyceride levels. Limiting alcohol consumption may help to reduce the risk of diabetes.
Quitting smoking may reduce the risk of diabetes. Smokers have double the risk of diabetes in comparison to non-smokers.
Controlling blood pressure may help reduce the risk of complications from diabetes. It can be done by consuming a healthy diet, remaining active, and maintaining a healthy weight.
For more reading about how sedentary lifestyle impact health. please click on the link https://maansisurvivalaidfoundation.com/how-sedentary-lifestyle-affects-peoples-health-globally/
Cardiovascular disease may increase the complications of diabetes. Controlling cardiovascular disease may help reduce complications from diabetes. For more reading about Caring for your heart. Please click the link https://maansisurvivalaidfoundation.com/caring-for-your-heart/
Consult your health care provider for regular checkups and medications for the management of diabetes.
By adopting Ayurveda as an alternative treatment therapy, Diabetes signs and symptoms can be reduced. Ayurveda stresses modifications in diet, exercises, yoga, meditation, and use of herbs for successful treatment of diabetes. Ayurveda stresses balancing three body energies- Vata, Pitta, and Kapha.
Wishing all to be in a healthy state.
(For awareness purpose only).