Sleep apnea- May be due to Fat tongue.
Sleep apnea may be due to tongue fat. It is a serious sleep disorder. It occurs when a person’s breathing is interrupted during sleep. People with untreated sleep apnea stop breathing repeatedly during sleep. that may result in less oxygen available for the brain and body. Thus creating an impact on physical and mental health.
There are two types of sleep apnea:-
- Obstructive sleep apnea ( OSA ):- It occurs when muscles that support the soft tissues in the throat, such as the tongue and soft palate, temporarily relax. when the muscles relax, airways are narrowed or closed and breathing gets cut off momentarily. A fat tongue may aggravate symptoms of sleep apnea.
- Central sleep apnea:- In central sleep apnea, the brain fails to send signals to muscles to breathe due to instability in the respiratory control center.
As per a study published in the journal The Lancet Respiratory Medicine, Approximately one billion people between the ages group of 30 to 69 around the world suffer from Obstructive sleep apnea (OSA).
A recent study published in the American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine suggested that reducing tongue fat is a primary factor in lessening the severity of OSA. Scientists including those from the University of Pennsylvania used magnetic resonance imaging to measure the effect of weight loss on upper airways in obese patients, by this measure the participant’s sleep apnea scores improved by more than 30% after weight loss.
It was found that on reducing weight by overweight patients, tongues also get smaller, and the changes occurred due to slimming down and reduction in tongue fat, the symptoms of sleep apnea also get reduced.
Symptoms of Sleep apnea:-
Ayurvedic tips suggested for weight optimization.
- Drink a glass of warm water with lemon in the morning.
- Exercising enough to break a sweat as a daily morning routine.
- Adopting the daily practice of 5 to 15 minutes of yoga and meditation to alleviate stress – the main cause of obesity.
- Eating three meals a day at fixed hours and avoiding snacking and fast foods.
- Eating seasonal food as per the surrounding region.
- A little walk after each meal helps in digestion stimulation.
- Fixing sleeping hours and adopting an early to bed and early to rise practice.
Wishing all a healthy life.
For your health-related problems, please consult your physician.
For public awareness only.